Serena into semis, Wozniacki fights pain barrier
Doha: World number one Serena Williams marched into the semi-finals of the WTA Championships on Thursday with a comfortable win over Elena Dementieva while sister Venus kept her title hopes alive long after midnight.
Serena`s 6-2, 6-4 victory completed a 100 percent record for the American in Maroon Group and confirmed her as the first player through to the last four at the season-ending showpiece.
Venus, who suffered narrow defeats to Dementieva and Serena in her first two matches, beat Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-2, 6-7, 6-4 in a hard-hitting clash and must now sweat on Friday`s results before knowing whether she will be in action at the weekend.
Feisty teen-ager Caroline Wozniacki remained undefeated on her debut at the USD 4.5 million Championships after beating Russian stand-in Vera Zvonareva in a White Group match that at times resembled a hospital casualty department.
The 19-year-old Dane eventually won 6-0, 6-7, 6-4 but played the last four points virtually on one leg. She was in tears after suffering agonising cramps in her heavily-bandaged left thigh and could barely hobble to the net to shake hands.
Zvonareva, a replacement for fellow Russian Dinara Safina who withdrew with a back injury, was also in the wars, needing treatment in the second set as blood oozed from her nose.
The Russian later withdrew with an ankle injury meaning second reserve Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland will get a run out against semi-final hopeful Azarenka Friday.
"I have absolutely no idea how I pulled it through, but I`m very happy about it," said surprise US Open runner-up Wozniacki, who may still need to beat Serbia`s Jelena Jankovic Friday to clinch a semi-final spot."
"I`m gonna do everything I can to get ready for tomorrow," added the world number four. "I`m just going to do everything that physio and the doctors are saying, drinking a lot of fluids, eat some good food, stretch, get some massage, get some ice massage, take a salt bath, everything."
There were no such dramas for Serena who recovered from an early service break to win seven games in a row against Dementieva, a player she had lost to three times this year.
Dementieva`s cause was not helped by 10 double faults but the Olympic champion can still reach the semi-finals here for the second year in succession by beating Kuznetsova Friday.
Serena`s three wins in three days means the others are scrapping for second spot. Venus`s late victory means that should Kuznetsova beat Dementieva they would all have one victory and calculators would be needed to see who survives.
"It feels good to be through because I`ve never really done well in this round-robin format," Serena, who won the tournament in 2001 when it was a conventional knockout draw, said at courtside. "Tomorrow I`m going to sleep all day because I`ve played every day so far here and I`m really tired.”
Wozniacki, who needed a minute under three hours to subdue Azarenka Wednesday, looked set for a quick victory when she raced through the opening set against Zvonareva.
Things got worse for Zvonareva in the second set when she developed a nose bleed but, like a boxer with a cut, she suddenly came out fighting and clawed back a 5-2 deficit.
A brutal baseline struggle developed on another breathless night in the Qatari capital with both players scampering around the court to retrieve seemingly lost causes.
Wozniacki should have finished it at 6-5 when she had two matchpoints but Zvonareva got lucky with a Hawkeye challenge and then edged a tiebreaker to set up a deciding set.
After a 10-minute heat break Wozniacki built a 3-1 lead courtesy of a stunning pick-up off a Zvonareva drop shot but the match was taking its toll and she needed treatment on her thigh.
Zvonareva levelled the decider at 4-4 only for Wozniacki, whose leg bandage was now in tattered and torn, to win the next game to allow her to serve for victory at 5-4.
The real drama was just starting though. After missing a forehand at 30-15 Wozniacki was pole-axed by cramp, writhing in pain on the purple concrete as her worried parents and a colourful contingent of Danish fans watched on.
Somehow she dragged herself upright but lost the next point to trail 30-40. She then showed real guts to match Zvonareva shot for shot and win the next three points, clinching victory after two hours 48 minutes when Zvonareva fluffed a forehand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India