Serena pulls out of Cincinnati Open
Mason, Ohio: Former world number one Serena Williams has pulled out of the Cincinnati Open with a toe injury, tournament organizers said on Wednesday.
Williams was due to face Australian 10th seed Samantha Stosur in the second round, in a rematch of the Toronto Cup final she won on Sunday.
The 13-times grand slam champion suffered an "aggravation of a right toe injury" a statement from the organizers said.
Williams has won her last two tournaments since returning to competition in June after 11 months out with injuries and health problems.
After her straight sets victory over Czech Lucie Hradecka on Tuesday, Williams said she was wary of becoming tired before the U.S. Open later this month.
"I definitely don`t want to overdo it. My main goal right now is obviously to do well," said Williams.
"And nothing against Cincinnati or Toronto or the Stanfords that I played, but this is all preparation. Everyone is preparing for the U.S. Open. So I have to be smart and make sure it`s not too much."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar