Serena Williams could face Azarenka in 3rd round
New York: Three-time US Open champion Serena Williams could face No. 4-seeded Victoria Azarenka in the third round, and two-time winner Venus Williams could meet No. 22 Sabine Lisicki in the second.
Azarenka and Lisicki were Wimbledon semifinalists in July.
The draw for the year`s last Grand Slam tournament is being completed Thursday. Play begins Monday.
After missing nearly a year of action because of a series of health scares, Serena Williams returned to the tour in June and has won two of her four tournaments. She is seeded 28th for the US Open, which followed the rankings rather than taking into account players` past performances.
Venus Williams is ranked 36th and unseeded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand