Serena Williams could face Azarenka in 3rd round
New York: Three-time US Open champion Serena Williams could face No. 4-seeded Victoria Azarenka in the third round, and two-time winner Venus Williams could meet No. 22 Sabine Lisicki in the second.
Azarenka and Lisicki were Wimbledon semifinalists in July.
The draw for the year`s last Grand Slam tournament is being completed Thursday. Play begins Monday.
After missing nearly a year of action because of a series of health scares, Serena Williams returned to the tour in June and has won two of her four tournaments. She is seeded 28th for the US Open, which followed the rankings rather than taking into account players` past performances.
Venus Williams is ranked 36th and unseeded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown