Serena Williams returns to top 100 after title win
London: Serena Williams has returned to the top 100 in the women`s rankings after winning her first title in more than a year at Stanford on Sunday.
The former No. 1 jumped nearly 90 places to 79th in the rankings released Monday after beating Marion Bartoli 7-5, 6-1 in the Bank of the West Classic final to win her first title outside of the Grand Slams since 2009.
Williams was sidelined for almost a year until June with foot injuries and blood clots on her lungs, and slid to 175th in the rankings when she failed to defend her Wimbledon title — her lowest spot in 14 years.
The 29-year-old American will take a week off before playing in Toronto to prepare for the U.S. Open, beginning Aug. 29.
The top 10 in the rankings remained unchanged with Caroline Wozniacki at No. 1.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump