Serena Williams returns to top 100 after title win
London: Serena Williams has returned to the top 100 in the women`s rankings after winning her first title in more than a year at Stanford on Sunday.
The former No. 1 jumped nearly 90 places to 79th in the rankings released Monday after beating Marion Bartoli 7-5, 6-1 in the Bank of the West Classic final to win her first title outside of the Grand Slams since 2009.
Williams was sidelined for almost a year until June with foot injuries and blood clots on her lungs, and slid to 175th in the rankings when she failed to defend her Wimbledon title — her lowest spot in 14 years.
The 29-year-old American will take a week off before playing in Toronto to prepare for the U.S. Open, beginning Aug. 29.
The top 10 in the rankings remained unchanged with Caroline Wozniacki at No. 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?