Serie A strike threat back on after talks stall
Milan: The threat of a Serie A players` strike was revived on Monday when the footballers` union said talks with the league had broken down.
A weekend strike was called in September with the union angry with Serie A plans for a new collective contract which would force players to accept transfers or a place outside the first team squad if they were no longer wanted by clubs.
The strike was postponed after talks began again but the union has now walked out, after previously saying negotiations would go on until the end of November.
"An agreement with Serie A is a long way off," players` union chief Sergio Campana said in a statement. "There has not been a single step forward since September."
"Now we will talk with the players and decide together what to do. We need the soccer federation`s intervention."
The September strike was called off in part because the union generally lacked public sympathy given the vast sums of money top players earn during a time of global economic hardship.
"A players` strike would be unjustified and grotesque," Serie A president Maurizio Beretta told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das