Services top National Games by a big distance
Ranchi: Services stamped their authority with seven gold on the penultimate day of the competitions on Friday as they left their rivals far behind on top of the medal tally in the 34th National Games here.
Having improved on their medal count of last edition on Thursday, Services continued their dominant march on the top with five gold coming from canoeing and kayaking on Friday as they totalled 69 gold, 50 silver and 42 bronze.
With just two gold medals to be decided on Saturday, in men`s and women`s table tennis singles, Services will finish on top of medal tally way ahead of their nearest rivals.
Manipur held on to second position with 48-37-33 while Haryana (42-33-40) displaced Maharashtra (39-43-46) from number three spot with most of medals coming from wrestling arena and the triumph in women`s hockey.
Hosts Jharkhand had another fruitful day as they bagged six gold medals to jump to fifth with 33-24-37.
Services gained heavily from canoeing and kayaking events held in the Maithon Dam of Dhanbad where they grabbed five yellow metals.
Friday`s performance meant that Services had a rich haul of 13 gold and five silver from canoeing and kayaking followed by Kerala at the second spot.
Services also won the men`s archery compound team title while their seventh gold of the day came from wrestling.
Wrestling arena was dominated by Haryana who won a total 14 gold medals including today`s haul of five.
Haryana picked up the first of their five gold medals when Amit Kumar overpowered Services` Pankaj Rana in the final of the men`s 66kg freestyle category.
Vinod added the second gold medal of the day for Haryana by defeating Delhi`s Sukhvinder in a closely-fought bout in the men`s 55kg freestyle.
Haryana bagged the third gold medal of the day when Nirmala won the women`s 48 kg freestyle final against Delhi`s Sumel.
In the 55 kg men`s Greco Roman style, Haryana`s Rajendra Kumar won the gold medal by defeating Delhi`s Manjeet.
In men`s 120 kg Greco-Roman style, Haryana`s Dharmedra defeated Jharkhand`s Rishi Pal to win the gold medal.
Services` Suresh Kumar emerged winner in the 66kg Greco Roman freestyle final against Punjab`s Harmendra.
In women`s hockey, Haryana beat Jharkhand 3-1 to clinch the title.
Surinder Kaur struck twice while Joydeep Kaur slammed the board. The hosts reduced the margin through Kanti.
Punjab defeated Jharkhand 2-0 to emerge winners in men`s hockey.
After facing waves of attacks from the hosts throughout the game, Ravi Pal and Sarvanjit Singh struck in 55th and 64th minutes against the run of the play to give Punjab the gold medal, much to the disappointment of a capacity home crowd.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof