Seven killed, 33 injured in fireworks unit blast
Madurai: Seven persons were killed and 33
others injured, 23 of them seriously, in a fire that broke out
at a fireworks unit in Tamil Nadu`s Virudhunagar district
today, officials said.
Over 200 people were working in the factory at
Namaskarichanpatti near Sivakasi when the fire broke out in a
shed where "sky display items were being made", they said.
As many as 40 sheds were damaged in the fire that soon
spread to other sheds and exploded bundles of crackers there.
Fire department personnel reached the spot and
extinguished the blaze, they said, adding District Collector
Sijithomas Vaidhyan also rushed to the spot.
Officials said the toll could increase as most of the
injured persons were in a very serious condition with more
than 60 per cent burns.
This is the second such incident in two weeks in South
Tamil Nadu. On July 7, 19 persons were killed in an explosion
in a fireworks factory near Vadakkampatti village in Madurai
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP