Seventeen more candidates file nomination paper in Gujarat polls
Ahmedabad: Seventeen more candidates, mostly independents, filed their nomination papers Tuesday for the first phase of the assembly polls scheduled for December 3.
The number of candidates who have entered the fray after the Election Commission issued notification for the election last Saturday has gone up to 29.
However, none of the prominent players, be it BJP or Congress or Gujarat Parivartan Party have fielded their candidates so far.
Eighty-seven assembly constituencies spread across Saurashtra and South Gujarat will vote in the first phase of elections.
CPM, which had said that it would contest 10 seats in the state, has fielded Ramchandra Nair from Rajkot (East) while Samajwadi Party, the ruling party in Uttar Pradesh, has fielded Purushottam Bodhani from Kamrej assembly constituency.
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) has fielded Ashok Manwar from Jamnagar (South) assembly constituency.
The last date for filing the nomination papers for the first phase of polls is November 24 and the scrutiny of nominations will take place on November 26.
The ruling BJP, the opposition Congress and the Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) are likely to name their candidates over the next two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez