Sex MMS: SC admits eBay, its chief`s plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday admitted
petitions of auction portal eBay India Pvt Ltd and its chief
Avinash Bajaj seeking quashing of the criminal proceedings
initiated against them for allegedly permitting the sale of an
MMS clip showing two school students in Delhi in a sexual act.
A Bench headed by Justice Altamas Kabir admitted both the
pleas and tagged them with another similar issue pending
before a larger Bench.
The Bench had earlier issued notice to the Delhi
government and had stayed the proceedings against the auction
portal and Bajaj under Sections 67 and 85 of the Information
Technology Act 2000.
While Section 67 bans publishing obscene information in
electronic form, Section 85 allows the prosecution of a person
responsible for violation.
Bajaj, the then managing director of baazee.com (now Ebay
India Pvt Ltd), was arraigned for allegedly allowing the MMS
clip, recorded on a mobile phone camera, to be uploaded on the
company`s auction site in 2004. Bajaj, a US citizen, had
subsequently sold baazee.com to eBay in 2004.
However, the state government had said that Bajaj was
responsible for the illegal display of the clip both in
official as well as in his personal capacity.
Challenging the Delhi High Court judgment that quashed
proceedings under the India Penal Code on May 29, last year
but permitted prosecution under the Information Technology
Act, Bajaj said that mere listing (on the web site) could not
be construed as a crime under the act.
Bajaj in his petition stated that Section 67 of the Act
does not define the term obscenity and thus liability cannot
be fixed on him for merely listing of the 2.37-minute clip
video clip even if it was obscene.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks