Shah Rukh Khan turns 42
Can you ever imagine anyone else in the role of Raj in ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’? Can you visualize some other actor delivering the dialogue – Bade bade deshon mein aisi choti choti batein hoti rahte hain, Senorita? Probably no, not if you belong to the Generation Y that has grown up watching the making of the superstar King Khan.
Born on 2nd of November 1965 to Taj Mohammed and Fatima Khan, Shahrukh did his schooling from St Columba’s School. His father Taj Mohammed Khan was a freedom fighter. Shahrukh as a child demonstrated signs of making of a star, when he was awarded with Sword of Honour at St Columbus, an award given for keeping the spirit of the school.
His early inclination towards acting and drama was evident even at school as he often missed his classes for co-curricular activities. After graduating from Hansraj College, SRK completed his MA in Mass Communication from Delhi’s Jamia Millia Islamia. Probably it was just a build up to his career, which can be termed as most illustrious in Bollywood.
Heartthrob Raj ruled reel across the globe
Year 1995 was a turning point in not only Shahrukh Khan’s career but also Bollywood in general. For it gave Bollywood its star of the decade. His denim jackets and loosely tucked shirt became a fashion statement for youngsters.
Raj became the most talked about character in Bollywood fraternity. The mustard fields in Punjab and a young boy-playing guitar with a refreshing smile became the poster image of Indian cinema.
The movie saw a huge opening in India and UK. It was the first Bollywood movie to get full house booking in London’s elite theatres.
‘Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Ghum’
Shahrukh’s journey in the reel life is a bit different from the stars that come with an established name. With no godfather in ‘Mayanagri’ Mumbai it was the charm of succeeding in life, which took him to Mumbai. His initial struggle when he was forced to spend nights on railway platforms seems to be straight out of a Bollywood blockbuster.
After the death of his parents Khan moved from Gurgaon to Mumbai in 1991. He made his Bollywood film debut in Deewana (1992), which was a box office hit and launched his career in Bollywood.
His debut performance won him the Filmfare Best Male Debut Award. His second release Maya Memsaab was known for its controversies as Khan appeared in what was termed as “explicit sex scenes" in the film.
In 1993 he won acclaim for his performances as a murderer and obsessive lover respectively in the box office hits Baazigar and Darr. It was bold decision for it was a hero to take up negative role but both clicked. He won his first Filmfare Best Actor Award for his performance in Baazigar.
He was also appreciated for his role as a young loser in Kundan Shah`s Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa which earned him the Filmfare Best Actor Award (critics) the same year. In 1994 Khan once again played an obsessive lover/psycho role in Anjaam. Even though the movie was not a box office success Khan`s performance in a negative role earned him the Filmfare Best Villain Award. Then came his super successes in the form of Karan Arjun, DDLJ, Pardes, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Veer Zaara and most recently, Chak De India.
He has been courageous enough to take up different roles not bothering too much about how public would react.
Shahrukh Khan was recently voted as Maha Style Icon at MTV style awards ceremony. He has been in news for his ‘six-pack abs’, which he developed for his forthcoming venture ‘Om Shanti Om’. King Khan has an unprecedented hold over Bollywood and his movies sell like hot cakes. Against all expectations, he hosted Kaun Banega Crorepati. His charisma, his magic, his talent makes him undisputed ‘Baadshah of Bollywood’.
From man who was largely criticized as one-dimensional, Shahrukh proved his critics wrong by his power packed role in Ashutosh Gowarikar’s Swadesh. Chak De! his last flick proved it again that he his hit even while playing different roles.
Our best wishes on his birthday!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced