Shahid supports Pillay`s claim for job of hockey coach
Varanasi: Former India captain Mohammed Shahid welcomed Dhanraj Pillay`s desire to become national hockey coach and asked the federation to take his claim seriously on Sunday. .
Shahid, who had tormented opposition defenders with his dribbling in his days, said Pillay`s experience and understanding of the game would help in improving the performance of the team.
"Dhanraj has played in four Olympics and he has seen Indian hockey from close quarters. Some of the current players have played along with him. There is nobody who knows this young team better than Dhanraj," Shahid said.
"Dhanraj has himself expressed desire to become the coach and it should be welcomed. I think under such an experienced player the performance of the team will only improve," he added.
The former centre-forward said once appointed, a coach should be given a reign of at least three years at the helm to give results.
"A coach`s worth should not be decided by just two or three losses. The new coach should be given three-four years` time," Shahid said.
Asked if he was also interested in taking up the coach`s job, Shahid said, "Currently, there has been talk of Dhanraj desiring to become coach. I am not in the race."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'