Shamini-Patkar finish runners-up at Chile Open
New Delhi: India`s women paddlers` team of Kumaresan Shamini and Madhurika Patkar had to be content with a runners-up finish while the men`s teams journey ended in the semifinals at Chile Open, an ITTF Pro Tour tournament.
Shamini and Patkar were no match to Japanese combination of Sayaka Hirano and Kasumi Ishikawa as they could not win even a single game in the summit clash.
They lost 4-11, 8-11, 5-11, 4-11 to their rivals.
Manika Batra, the under-21 player, also finished second after losing the final 7-11 10-12 7-11 8-11 to Misaki Morizono.
It was one-two for India in the boys under-21 competition with top seed Soumyajit Ghosh emerging as the winner after beating second seed compatriot Harmeet Desai 11-7, 12-14, 11-3, 11-7, 11-6 to claim the male title.
In Men`s singles the only player to reach quarter-finals was Harmeet Desai, who lost 5-11,6-11,14-12,8-11,7-11 to Liu Song from Argentina.
In Women`s singles, Mamta Prabhu, Shamini and Ankita Das lost in the pre-quarterfinal stage.
In Men`s doubles, the pair of Sourav Chakraborty and Sanol Shetty lost their semifinal 11-6,11-8,14-16,14-12,11-8 to Argentine pair of Javier Cillis and Song.
Desai and Ghosh lost their llast-four stage match to 8-1 4-11 7-11 11-7 11-9 5-11 to Brazlian combination of Eric Mancicni and Cazuo Matsumotu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt