Sharapova beats Petkovic in French Open quarters
Paris: Maria Sharapova closed in on the only major championship she hasn`t won by beating 15th-seeded Andrea Petkovic of Germany 6-0, 6-3 on Wednesday to reach the French Open semifinals.
Already the owner of titles from Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and Australian Open, Sharapova is trying to become the 10th woman to complete a career Grand Slam. The seventh-seeded Russian is in the semifinals at Roland Garros for the second time; she lost there in 2007.
Sharapova won the first eight games against Petkovic, who`s never reached a major semifinal. Petkovic needed 52 minutes to win a game, but she appeared to be making things more competitive when she broke to 3-all in the second set. Sharapova broke right back, then again to end the match.
Sharapova faces No. 6 Li Na next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site