Sharapova beats Petkovic in French Open quarters
Paris: Maria Sharapova closed in on the only major championship she hasn`t won by beating 15th-seeded Andrea Petkovic of Germany 6-0, 6-3 on Wednesday to reach the French Open semifinals.
Already the owner of titles from Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and Australian Open, Sharapova is trying to become the 10th woman to complete a career Grand Slam. The seventh-seeded Russian is in the semifinals at Roland Garros for the second time; she lost there in 2007.
Sharapova won the first eight games against Petkovic, who`s never reached a major semifinal. Petkovic needed 52 minutes to win a game, but she appeared to be making things more competitive when she broke to 3-all in the second set. Sharapova broke right back, then again to end the match.
Sharapova faces No. 6 Li Na next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'