Sharapova beats Petkovic in French Open quarters
Paris: Maria Sharapova closed in on the only major championship she hasn`t won by beating 15th-seeded Andrea Petkovic of Germany 6-0, 6-3 on Wednesday to reach the French Open semifinals.
Already the owner of titles from Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and Australian Open, Sharapova is trying to become the 10th woman to complete a career Grand Slam. The seventh-seeded Russian is in the semifinals at Roland Garros for the second time; she lost there in 2007.
Sharapova won the first eight games against Petkovic, who`s never reached a major semifinal. Petkovic needed 52 minutes to win a game, but she appeared to be making things more competitive when she broke to 3-all in the second set. Sharapova broke right back, then again to end the match.
Sharapova faces No. 6 Li Na next.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video