Sharath Kamal in quarterfinals in table tennis
Ranchi: Indian table tennis ace Achanta
Sharath Kamal remained on course for his first National Games
title as he sailed into the quarterfinals on a day that saw
smooth sailing for the top players here on Thursday.
Having missed out on a team gold, Bengal recovered from
yesterday`s debacle as they fared well in the singles
prequarterfinals with four players each in the men`s and
women`s sections earning their last eight berths.
National champion Kumaresan Shamini also won her match
against Prajakta Tipale Maharashtra 4-0 (11-6, 11-6, 11-6,
11-8) to set up a last eight match against Susmita Ray of
Susmita quelled the challenge of Pune girl Ashlesha Bodas
4-0 (12-10, 11-7, 11-6, 14-12) in the last 16.
Bengal stalwart and Commonwealth Games bronze medallist
Mouma Das, who was erratic yesterday picking yellow and red
cards, was at her best today as she thrashed Swetha Kumaravel
of Tamil Nadu 4-0 (11-4, 11-4, 12-10, 11-7) to storm into
Soumi Mondal of Bengal got the better of Tamil Nadu girl
N Sathyabhama 4-1 (11-6, 11-8, 11-9, 3-11, 11-9) while
Maharashtra veteran Mamta Prabhu beat Ankita Das of Bengal 4-2
(4-11, 11-7, 12-10, 11-7, 12-14, 11-9).
Maharashtra`s Madhurika Patkar faced a strong challenge
from Bengal girl Pallavi Kundu before wrapping the issue 4-2
(11-6, 11-4, 9-11, 11-8, 10-12, 11-9) in the last 16.
Nandita Saha became the fourth Bengal girl to enter last
eight with a hard fought win over T Reeeth Rishya of Tamil
Nadu 4-3 (11-9, 11-5, 4-11, 11-6, 10-12, 9-11, 11-7).
Pooja Sahasrabudhe of Maharashtra beat Vishakha Vijay of
Rajasthan 4-1 (11-5, 11-3, 13-11, 8-11, 11-6) in another
Yet to win a title in the National Games, Sharath Kamal
recovered a first set deficit against Vinay Baiswade of
Chhattisgarh as he wrapped up the issue 4-2 (7-11, 10-12,
11-2, 11-9, 11-4, 11-5) to set up a last eight battle with
Souvik Basu Roy of Bengal.
Souvik Basu Roy struggled pas Rajiv Ghai of Haryana 4-3
(7-11, 11-3, 7-11, 10-12, 11-3, 11-9, 11-5).
In another last-16 match, G Vinod of Tamil Nadu ousted
Sourav Saha of Bengal 4-2 (5-11, 11-5, 13-11, 11-9, 10-12,
11-7) while Raj Mondal of Bengal thrashed Gujarat`s Pathik
Mehta 4-0 (11-5, 11-7, 12-10, 12-10).
Bengal`s Sourav Chakraborty routed E Prabhakaran of Tamil
Nadu 4-0 (11-2, 11-8, 11-6, 11-7) while Harmeet Desai of
Gujarat thrashed Sayan Paul Roy of Bengal 4-0 (11-8, 11-3,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof