Sharmila gets wildcard in European Tour tournament
New Delhi: Top Indian woman professional golfer Sharmila Nicollet has been given a wildcard entry into the prestigious Evian Masters, one of the leading events on the Ladies European Tour, starting on July 21.
"The experience of playing and practicing in Europe has been very good for me. And now the Evian Masters will give me a chance to play with the leading golfers," said Sharmila.
20-year-old Sharmila recently played the British Open qualifiers where she missed making the main tournament, and the Finnair Masters.
The five-foot-10 Sharmila, leading money earner on the Women`s Indian WGAI Tour, was tied 23rd at the Hero Honda Women’s Indian Open in 2010 and has played most of her events on Ladies Asian Golf Tour.
The Evian Masters board has given six other wild-card entries to the 2011 event. The other recipients so far are Cindy Lacrosse (USA), Mariajo Uribe (COL), Maria Verchenova (RUS), Caroline Rominger (SWI), Grace Park (KOR) and Lydia Ko (NZ). Sharmila is the seventh and three more will be announced soon.
"For 2011, we`re keen as ever to shine the media spotlight on players from developing countries as well as on our very talented young generation of players," explained Jacques Bungert, Director of the Evian Masters.
This year`s Evian Masters will have 111 of the best female players competing at the Evian Masters Golf Club course from July 21 to 24.
The field will include current world number one Yani Tseng, a former Hero Honda Women`s Indian Open winner, besides 2010 world number one and defending champion Jiyai Shin. Also joining them are Cristie Kerr (USA), Ai Miyazato (JAP), Paula Creamer (USA), Michelle Wie (USA), young Alexis Thompson and fellow American Morgan Pressel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt