Sharmila gets wildcard in European Tour tournament
New Delhi: Top Indian woman professional golfer Sharmila Nicollet has been given a wildcard entry into the prestigious Evian Masters, one of the leading events on the Ladies European Tour, starting on July 21.
"The experience of playing and practicing in Europe has been very good for me. And now the Evian Masters will give me a chance to play with the leading golfers," said Sharmila.
20-year-old Sharmila recently played the British Open qualifiers where she missed making the main tournament, and the Finnair Masters.
The five-foot-10 Sharmila, leading money earner on the Women`s Indian WGAI Tour, was tied 23rd at the Hero Honda Women’s Indian Open in 2010 and has played most of her events on Ladies Asian Golf Tour.
The Evian Masters board has given six other wild-card entries to the 2011 event. The other recipients so far are Cindy Lacrosse (USA), Mariajo Uribe (COL), Maria Verchenova (RUS), Caroline Rominger (SWI), Grace Park (KOR) and Lydia Ko (NZ). Sharmila is the seventh and three more will be announced soon.
"For 2011, we`re keen as ever to shine the media spotlight on players from developing countries as well as on our very talented young generation of players," explained Jacques Bungert, Director of the Evian Masters.
This year`s Evian Masters will have 111 of the best female players competing at the Evian Masters Golf Club course from July 21 to 24.
The field will include current world number one Yani Tseng, a former Hero Honda Women`s Indian Open winner, besides 2010 world number one and defending champion Jiyai Shin. Also joining them are Cristie Kerr (USA), Ai Miyazato (JAP), Paula Creamer (USA), Michelle Wie (USA), young Alexis Thompson and fellow American Morgan Pressel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what