Sheffield FC to play against Lajong FC and Assam XI
New Delhi: English football club Sheffield FC
will play against Lajong FC of Shillong and an Assam XI team
after participating in the Platinum Jubilee Cup in Kolkata, a
tournament organised to commemorate Mohammedan Sporting`s 75
years of existence.
"They are scheduled to reach Guwahati on November 17th
and will play against Assam XI team at the Indira Gandhi
Athletic Stadium in Sarusajai on November 18," said All India
Football Federation (AIFF) vice-president and Assam Football
Association general secretary Ankur Dutta.
Following the three-day Platinum Jubilee Cup in Kolkata,
where Sheffield FC will play against East Bengal, Mohun Bagan
and Mohammedan Sporting on knock-out basis, the world`s oldest
football club will fly to Shillong via Guwahati and play an
exhibition match at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium there on November
16. They will then play a match in Guwahati on November 18.
"I am not sure about the make of the Sheffield squad that
will be visiting here but some good players will be there for
sure for the exhibition matches and that will be a good
exposure," Dutta said from Guwahati.
The English club had, in August, tied up with the
Jamshedpur-based Tata Football Academy (TFA), the country`s
premier soccer school, which has been producing quality
players for years with the aim to impart professional training
to TFA coaches and cadets.
The tie-up is initially for three years after which it
may be continued on the interest of both the academies. As a
part of this tie-up, SUFC is supposed to formulate a 12-month
programme on coaching, fitness and professional development of
The tie-up has also opened up an opportunity for the
selected trainees to appear in trials in England.
The training sessions include lessons on strategy for
player recruitment, identification and profiling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday