Sheffield FC to play against Lajong FC and Assam XI
New Delhi: English football club Sheffield FC
will play against Lajong FC of Shillong and an Assam XI team
after participating in the Platinum Jubilee Cup in Kolkata, a
tournament organised to commemorate Mohammedan Sporting`s 75
years of existence.
"They are scheduled to reach Guwahati on November 17th
and will play against Assam XI team at the Indira Gandhi
Athletic Stadium in Sarusajai on November 18," said All India
Football Federation (AIFF) vice-president and Assam Football
Association general secretary Ankur Dutta.
Following the three-day Platinum Jubilee Cup in Kolkata,
where Sheffield FC will play against East Bengal, Mohun Bagan
and Mohammedan Sporting on knock-out basis, the world`s oldest
football club will fly to Shillong via Guwahati and play an
exhibition match at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium there on November
16. They will then play a match in Guwahati on November 18.
"I am not sure about the make of the Sheffield squad that
will be visiting here but some good players will be there for
sure for the exhibition matches and that will be a good
exposure," Dutta said from Guwahati.
The English club had, in August, tied up with the
Jamshedpur-based Tata Football Academy (TFA), the country`s
premier soccer school, which has been producing quality
players for years with the aim to impart professional training
to TFA coaches and cadets.
The tie-up is initially for three years after which it
may be continued on the interest of both the academies. As a
part of this tie-up, SUFC is supposed to formulate a 12-month
programme on coaching, fitness and professional development of
The tie-up has also opened up an opportunity for the
selected trainees to appear in trials in England.
The training sessions include lessons on strategy for
player recruitment, identification and profiling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail