Ship lost for more than 150 years is recovered
Toronto: Canadian archaeologists have found a
ship abandoned more than 150 years ago in the quest for the
fabled Northwest Passage and which was lost in the search for
the doomed expedition of Sir John Franklin.
Marc-Andre Bernier, Parks Canada`s head of underwater
archaeology, said today the HMS Investigator, abandoned in the
ice in 1853, was found in shallow water in Mercy Bay along the
northern coast of Banks Island in Canada`s western Arctic.
The Investigator was one of many American and British
ships sent out to search for the HMS Erebus and the Terror,
vessels commanded by Franklin in his ill-fated search for the
Northwest Passage in 1845.
The Investigator sailed the last leg of the Northwest
Bernier says the Investigator is standing upright in very
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij