Ship lost for more than 150 years is recovered
Toronto: Canadian archaeologists have found a
ship abandoned more than 150 years ago in the quest for the
fabled Northwest Passage and which was lost in the search for
the doomed expedition of Sir John Franklin.
Marc-Andre Bernier, Parks Canada`s head of underwater
archaeology, said today the HMS Investigator, abandoned in the
ice in 1853, was found in shallow water in Mercy Bay along the
northern coast of Banks Island in Canada`s western Arctic.
The Investigator was one of many American and British
ships sent out to search for the HMS Erebus and the Terror,
vessels commanded by Franklin in his ill-fated search for the
Northwest Passage in 1845.
The Investigator sailed the last leg of the Northwest
Bernier says the Investigator is standing upright in very
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends