Shock defeat for Somdev in Queen`s event
London: India`s ace tennis player Somdev Devvarman crashed out of the Queen`s tennis tournament after suffering a shock straight-set defeat against Australian qualifier Matthew Ebden in the opening round of the event on Tuesday.
The Asian Games gold medallist Somdev lost 5-7 3-6 to unheralded Ebden in a contest that lasted little over an hour.
World No. 67 Somdev is ranked 101 places above his opponent in the ATP rankings.
Ebden edged a tight first set and then went on to secure a win with a break late in the second set to clinch the biggest win of his career.
The 23-year-old South African-born Ebden (ranked 168th) will next face world No. 1 Rafael Nadal, who will play his first singles match since winning his record sixth French Open title in Paris on Sunday, defeating world number three Roger Federer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth