Shock defeat for Somdev in Queen`s event
London: India`s ace tennis player Somdev Devvarman crashed out of the Queen`s tennis tournament after suffering a shock straight-set defeat against Australian qualifier Matthew Ebden in the opening round of the event on Tuesday.
The Asian Games gold medallist Somdev lost 5-7 3-6 to unheralded Ebden in a contest that lasted little over an hour.
World No. 67 Somdev is ranked 101 places above his opponent in the ATP rankings.
Ebden edged a tight first set and then went on to secure a win with a break late in the second set to clinch the biggest win of his career.
The 23-year-old South African-born Ebden (ranked 168th) will next face world No. 1 Rafael Nadal, who will play his first singles match since winning his record sixth French Open title in Paris on Sunday, defeating world number three Roger Federer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state