Shock defeat for Somdev in Queen`s event
London: India`s ace tennis player Somdev Devvarman crashed out of the Queen`s tennis tournament after suffering a shock straight-set defeat against Australian qualifier Matthew Ebden in the opening round of the event on Tuesday.
The Asian Games gold medallist Somdev lost 5-7 3-6 to unheralded Ebden in a contest that lasted little over an hour.
World No. 67 Somdev is ranked 101 places above his opponent in the ATP rankings.
Ebden edged a tight first set and then went on to secure a win with a break late in the second set to clinch the biggest win of his career.
The 23-year-old South African-born Ebden (ranked 168th) will next face world No. 1 Rafael Nadal, who will play his first singles match since winning his record sixth French Open title in Paris on Sunday, defeating world number three Roger Federer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred