Shooter Gagan Narang recommended for Khel Ratna
New Delhi: In what could be great news to shooters and cricketers, the selection panel on Friday recommended Gagan Narang’s name for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2011.
Narang won four gold medals at the Commonwealth Games 2010 and the Sports Ministry is going to take a final call based on the recommendation.
Cricketer Zaheer Khan’s name has been nominated for the Arjuna Award by the same selection panel. Apart from Zaheer, tennis star Somdev Devvarman, archer Rahul Banerjee, shooter Tejaswini Sawant, athlete Preeja Sreedharan, Ravi Kumar Katulu (Weightlifting), Jwala Gutta (Badminton), Tejaswini Bai (Kabaddi), Rakesh Kumar (Kabaddi), footballer Sunil Chettri, hockey player Rajpal Singh, boxer Suranjoy Singh, Sandhyarani (Ushu), Prashant Karmakar (Disabled Sports) and gymnast Ashish Kumar have also been recommended for the Arjuna Award.
Former international wrestler, Satpal Singh, heads the panel that will finalise the names of sportspersons for the Dronacharya, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Arjuna Awards.
Last year, badminton ace Saina Nehwal was conferred the Khel Ratna Award, the highest award for sportspersons in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter