Shooting: Raninder Singh appointed NRAI president
New Delhi: Raninder Singh was elected president of the National Rifle Association of India after the trap shooter`s landslide victory over Shyam Singh Yadav at the NRAI house here on Wednesday.
During the governing body meeting of the the shooting federation, 21 members voted in favour of Singh as against Yadav`s five votes.
In what turned out to be a completely one-sided affair, even Singh voted for his opponent Yadav instead of himself, NRAI sources said.
The 43-year-old Singh, who represents Punjab in NRAI`s governing body, is an active trap shooter and has also participated in ISSF World Cups and National Championships.
"It`s a win by a thumping majority and that was expected. He (Singh) is the right choice as he has the ability to lead the federation from the front," a source said.
"He can guide the federation at a time when we are going through a transition phase. It is actually a very critical phase for Indian shooting. The shooters are winning a lot of medals at international events and the job now is to carry on the good work," the source added.
Vice-president Avtar Singh Sethi was serving as interim chief of NRAI ever since the late Digvijay Singh stepped down following a Supreme Court directive just before the Commonwealth Shooting Championships in February.
Following the Supreme Court`s directive to the NRAI to go back to the Delhi High Court on the issue of its office-bearers holding more than two terms in office, the federation had named Sethi as the interim president.
While Singh and Yadav were always the front-runners for the top post, sources in the NRAI had earlier claimed that, besides the two, there were three to four other members who were also vying for the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM