Shopian case: Order on Police officials bail likely
Srinagar: A sessions court in Shopian may
pronounce its order tomorrow on the bail pleas of four police
officials including the then Superintendent of Police Javed
Iqbal Mattoo in connection with the double rape and murder
case in Shopian.
The Sessions Court had heard the arguments of the state
government counsel as well as that of the defence counsel for
nearly a week before reserving its order on July 31 and
adjourning the case to August six.
The officers concerned, who have been suspended, were SP
Javed Iqbal Mattoo, DSP Rohit Baskotra, former Shopian SHO
Shafeeq Ahmad and Sub-Inspector Gazi Abdul Karim.
While the state government`s counsel submitted in the
court that the officers had been arrested on suspicion
for not performing their duties, the defence counsel Asim
Mehrotra, appearing on behalf of the police officials
countered the argument saying nothing adverse had been found
In his written submission before the court, Mehrotra
challenged government`s plea about Jan Commission indicting
the police officials saying the report "can be used and is
being used only for the purpose of departmental proceedings.
"...it may be clarified that no opportunity of cross
examination of witness was granted by the Commission of
Inquiry, thereforem the report is in violation of principles
of natural justice," Mehrotra submitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?