Shortage of Rs 5 lk cr to fund country`s power projects: Govt
New Delhi: The latest estimates of the government on Thursday revealed that there is a shortfall of about Rs 5,00,000 crore for financing power projects in the country.
"The power sector as a whole requires a huge investment
and there is gap of around Rs 5,00,000 crore in financing the
power generation capacity addition projects", Minister of
State for Power Bharatsinh Solanki said today while addressing
India Electricity- 2009 organised by FICCI.
Solanki said, "In order to achieve financial closure (of
power projects) in a time bound manner it is suggested to
increase the exposure limit of banks, foreign institutional
investors and non-banking companies. The limit should be
increased from 20 to 30 percent for individual borrowers and
50 to 70 percent for group borrowers."
The minister also suggested, "external commercial
borrowing by financial institutions like Power Finance
Corporation and Rural Electrification Corporation may be
brought under the automatic route (not requiring RBI
He pointed out, "the issue of threats of Chinese dumping,
non-existence of level playing field, high cost of debt and
disparity in taxes and duties are hampering the growth of this
The power sector also needs support for super critical
technology and to provide help to new equipment manufacturers.
The minister also mentioned launching a national campaign
on energy efficiency involving all stakeholders and interest
groups at national, sub-national and regional level for
disseminating and popularising energy efficiency measures
through which the country can save up on 20-25 percent of the
current energy use.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview