Shot-putter Om Prakash qualifies for London Oly
New Delhi: Indian shot-putter Om Prakash Karhana qualified for the 2012 London Olympics as well as next month`s World Championships after winning gold in an IAAF meet at Szombathely in Hungary.
Karhana registered a personal best of 20.04 metres to cross the 20-metre qualifying mark for the London Olympics and the World Championships to be held in Daegu, South Korea from August 27.
The earlier personal best of the 24-year-old lad, who is now training in Hungary, was 20.02 metres which he registered at the 2009 Inter-State Athletics meet in Chennai.
Karhana had finished third in the Asian Championships at Kobe, Japan earlier this month. Defending his shot put title, he managed a bronze with a season`s best of 19.47 metres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- First look of Emraan Hashmi's maiden home production 'Captain Nawab' out! - Pic inside
- Despite public outcry over images of man carrying dead wife, Odisha gives clean chit to hospital