Ralegan Siddhi (Maharashtra): Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday said they would seek people’s response over the next one week on whether to form a political party or not.
Addressing a press conference here along with social activist Anna Hazare, Kejriwal said, “For the next one week, through e-mail, SMSes, telephone calls we will seek people’s response on whether to form a political party.”
Hazare, meanwhile, said only good people should go to Parliament.
“I won’t fight election but will help select right people and send them to Parliament,” Hazare said, reiterating he won’t join politics.
“We will ask the people whether we should form a party or not,” Hazare said.
Asked whether he would campaign for those candidates, the Gandhian only said: “I will decide after people’s verdict whether I will campaign for the candidates or not.”
In response to a question, Kejriwal said people will decide whether erstwhile Team Anna members (apart from Hazare) will also contest election or not.
To find the “right candidates”, Kejriwal said they would look at the following:
- Candidate should not have a criminal background
- Should not be facing any charges of corruption
- What he has done for the people
- What is his image in public
Kejriwal further said that once selected by people, the candidate should give an affidavit saying:
- Won’t take a red beacon car
- Won’t take government bungalow
- Won’t take security
- Will take monthly salary of Rs 25,000 after winning election
- No life-long retirement benefits
- Bank account will be open to public scrutiny
- Income detains will be made public every year
- Won’t misuse MPLAD funds, quota discretion