Sightscreen collapses at Nehru Stadium, no one hurt
Margao : The sightscreen at the north end of the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium here fell down after coming off the railings on which it was mounted, to add to the difficulties of the organisers of the third and final ODI between India and Australia on Sunday . Although the one-dayer was finally abandoned due to an unplayable wet outfield but there was quite a bit of drama to entertain the packed stadium due to the collapsing of the sightscreen.
Fortunately, no one was in front of it when it came crashing down. The incident was sandwiched between the two inspections of the ground conducted by umpires Billy Bowden and Amish Saheba.
The sightscreen was made upright and supported by ropes tied to the first row of the press gallery, but the incident put a question mark on the preparations of the Goa Cricket Association for the match. The tarpaulin covers were also clearly inadequate even though they covered the major part of the ground.
A capacity holiday crowd of 27,000 sat through all this rigmarole, entertaining itself by unfurling the Mexican wave, banging drums and blowing the vuvuzela. The Cricket Board (BCCI), who has decided at a working committee meeting not to award any international matches to centres not having their own stadium, is yet to implement it.
Goa is one such centre that do not have its own ground, though GCA has acquired land on lease for constructing its own stadium from the state government at Tivim in the northern part of the State.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP