SIMI members could be regrouping in Gujarat: Official
Gandhinagar: Central intelligence agencies have cautioned Gujarat about an attempt by members of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) to regroup with a different name in the state, an official said here on Thursday.
"We have intelligence information on SIMI activists regrouping in Gujarat, particularly in south Gujarat, under the name of `Wahadat-e-Islami`. This is being verified and the action to nab the activists would start immediately if the inputs are found to be accurate," the home department official said, not wishing to be named.
He said there had been some intelligence inputs from the state-level agencies regarding a SIMI training camp held in Nanpada region of Bharuch district in central Gujarat between March 22 and April 12.
The state government has further strengthened its intelligence gathering efforts to prevent any untoward incident during the festive season.
"We have been informed by the intelligence agencies that Gujarat is not the only state where SIMI members had held meetings during the recent past. They have also done so in Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu," the official stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Israel's Lieberman agrees terms to join Netanyahu government - spokesman
- Greece starts moving migrants from squalid border camp
- Vietnamese dissident a reluctant tourist during Obama visit
- Islamic State "falsely claiming" attacks in Bangladesh
- Protests turn violent outside Donald Trump's rally; clashes erupt