Simone Bolelli returns for Italy in Davis Cup
Rome: Simone Bolelli was named Monday to Italy`s team for a Davis Cup playoff against Switzerland, putting a 10-month suspension behind him.
Top-ranked Roger Federer is expected to play for Switzerland in the Sept. 18-20 contest on red clay courts in Genoa.
Bolelli was suspended by the Italian tennis federation in September for skipping a tie against Latvia. The 68th-ranked player said he told Italy captain Corrado Barrazzutti well in advance of the tie that he preferred to work on his fast-court game in Asia.
The federation revoked the ban in July.
Fabio Fognini, Andreas Seppi and Potito Starace were also named to Italy`s team for the World Group playoff.
Last week, Bolelli was eliminated by 15th-seeded Radek Stepanek in the first round of the US Open. Fognini, Seppi and Starace also failed to make it past the first round in New York, although Bolelli and Seppi reached the third round in doubles before losing to fifth-seeded Max Mirnyi and Andy Ram on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test