Simpsons’ episodes banned over Japan disaster
London: Controllers at several European channels have banned episodes of The Simpsons that contain jokes about nuclear meltdown.
They want to stop the hit cartoon poking fun at nuclear danger during the battle to save the tsunami-hit Fukushima plant, reports the Daily Star.
Bungling Homer Simpson works at disaster-prone Springfield Nuclear Power Plant, run by money-grabbing Mr Burns, in the hit show.
It is a running joke that safety at the plant, that has blown up or come close to meltdown several times, is notoriously slack.
Beer-swilling Homer is a Nuclear Safety Inspector, but repeatedly puts the town at risk by neglecting his duties and falling asleep.
He even casually tosses away a radioactive rod he finds in his clothes during the hit show’s title sequence.
The PC plonkers have been blasted for failing to separate fact from fiction.
German channel Pro7 was the first to stop the fun. ORF in Austria and SF in Switzerland were quick to follow suit.
The Austrian channel is thought to have taken the most extreme action, banning eight episodes until a review next month.
The censored shows include one that features scientists Marie and Pierre Curie dying of radiation poisoning and another, which contains jokes about a nuclear meltdown.
However, critics of the European killjoys insist the show is harmless and cannot be compared to the situation in Japan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter