Simpsons’ episodes banned over Japan disaster
London: Controllers at several European channels have banned episodes of The Simpsons that contain jokes about nuclear meltdown.
They want to stop the hit cartoon poking fun at nuclear danger during the battle to save the tsunami-hit Fukushima plant, reports the Daily Star.
Bungling Homer Simpson works at disaster-prone Springfield Nuclear Power Plant, run by money-grabbing Mr Burns, in the hit show.
It is a running joke that safety at the plant, that has blown up or come close to meltdown several times, is notoriously slack.
Beer-swilling Homer is a Nuclear Safety Inspector, but repeatedly puts the town at risk by neglecting his duties and falling asleep.
He even casually tosses away a radioactive rod he finds in his clothes during the hit show’s title sequence.
The PC plonkers have been blasted for failing to separate fact from fiction.
German channel Pro7 was the first to stop the fun. ORF in Austria and SF in Switzerland were quick to follow suit.
The Austrian channel is thought to have taken the most extreme action, banning eight episodes until a review next month.
The censored shows include one that features scientists Marie and Pierre Curie dying of radiation poisoning and another, which contains jokes about a nuclear meltdown.
However, critics of the European killjoys insist the show is harmless and cannot be compared to the situation in Japan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living