Singh senses Cup upset by the Internationals
San Francisco: Virtually all the signs point towards yet another United States victory at this week`s Presidents Cup, but Internationals stalwart Vijay Singh has a feeling he and his team mates could pull off an upset.
"Our guys are really fired up and I think we are going to have a good week," Fijian Singh told reporters at a sun-splashed Harding Park Golf Course.
"We have a great team this year and it`s all about momentum. If a team has great momentum, they`re going to putt well and they`re going to hit great shots. Picking the right combinations will be key."
Collective form this season, Cup history and comparative world ranking strength combine to make the US team heavy favourites for this week`s matches starting on Thursday.
The Americans have never lost on home soil and they will be seeking to win the trophy for a sixth time in eight editions of the biennial team competition.
On top of that, the US ended a run of three defeats in the Ryder Cup with a commanding victory over Europe last year, giving them another jolt of confidence in the matchplay team format.
"The Americans are riding really high at the moment," said the 46-year-old Singh, the only Internationals player to have competed in every Presidents Cup.
"They`ve done well in the FedExCup, they had a lot more wins on the regular (PGA) Tour and they are all up there in the world rankings."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state