Situation improves in flood-hit Bihar
Sitamarhi/Muzaffarpur: The National
Disaster Response Force Friday stepped up relief operations in
the flood-hit areas of Bihar`s Sitamarhi and Muzaffarpur
districts as the overall flood situation improved.
"Two battalions of the NDRF with the help of motorised
boats are providing wheat, beaten rice, jaggery, grams, match
boxes and kerosene oil, besides cash to the flood-hit people
in Sitmarhi and Muzaffarpur," Tirhut Divisional Commissioner SM Raju said.
According to a Central Water Commission report,
tributaries of Bagmati and Adhwara and Kosi continue to flow
above the danger mark at some places.
The Bagmati was flowing 63 cm above the red mark
at Hayaghat, Adhwara 51 cm higher while Kamtaul and Kosi 22 cm
at Basua, it said.
The levels of other rivers, including Ganga, Burhi
Gandak, Gandak, Kamala Balan and Mahananda, though, remain
below the danger mark along their courses in the state, the
The fissures which developed after completion of the
breach-closure work on Wednesday on the embankment of river
Bagmati at Tilak Tajpur in Sitamarhi were being plugged with
boulders and sand bags supervised by engineers of the state
Water Resources Department, the Tirhut Divisional Commissioner
The Bagmati had destroyed a 300 metre stretch
affecting a population of over two lakhs.
"The situation is under control because of prompt
action by engineers," Raju said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves