Sixty-nine US banks go belly up in 2009, 24 fail in July
New York: Bank failures in the US are
increasing by the day, with an average of ten entities going
belly up every month, taking the toll to 69 so far this
With five more banks collapsing on July 31, a staggering
24 entities were shut down last month, the highest for any
month in 2009.
Moreover, the number of failures till the end of last
month, 69, is more than double that of last year, 25.
Even as the economy is slowly showing signs of recovery,
regional and small banks are bearing the brunt of the
recession, primarily on account of increasing defaults due to
The latest ones to collapse last Friday are First State
of Altus, Integrity Bank, Peoples Community Bank, First
Bankamericano and Mutual Bank, according to the Federal
Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), which is often appointed
receiver of failed entities.
The failures of the five banks would cost the FDIC nearly
USD 912 million.
Seven banks each were closed down on July 2 and July 24.
The authorities closed down nine banks in June and seven
in May. There were ten bank failures in February.
The world`s largest economy is reeling under one of the
worst financial turmoils since the 1930s.
The FDIC recently said the number of "problem banks" in
the US has risen to a 15-year high of 305 in the first quarter
of 2009 against 252 in the December quarter last year.
However, the American economy is on the path of
stabilisation, with GDP contracting much less than expected at
one percent in the second quarter of 2009.
The latest Beige Book, which provides a snapshot of
the economic situation in various districts, showed that
economic activities are slowly stabilising.
The crisis became deep with the bankruptcy of financial
services entity Lehman Brothers in September last year.
Since then the Federal government has embarked on
unprecedented measures such as the mammoth USD 787-billion
stimulus package, to bolster the nation`s sagging economy.
Among the banks which went under this year are Founders
Bank, Temecula Valley Bank, Waterford Village Bank, Vineyard
Bank and Millennium State Bank of Texas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive