Sizzling Kim surges one ahead at The Greenbrier
New York: American Anthony Kim closed in on his first PGA Tour victory of the season by charging one stroke clear in Saturday`s third round of the Greenbrier Classic in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.
With his approach play in sparkling order, the long-haired Kim fired a sizzling eight-under-par 62 on the Old White Course at The Greenbrier to post a 10-under total of 200.
The three-times PGA Tour winner birdied five of his last nine holes to end a sunny afternoon in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains one ahead of compatriot Scott Stallings (66).
Long-hitting Gary Woodland carded a 67 to lie a further stroke back at eight under, level with fellow American Webb Simpson (69).
Kim was delighted to surge to the top of the leaderboard after missing much of last season because of an injured left thumb which required surgery.
"I was just hitting smart golf shots," the 26-year-old told reporters after recording eight birdies in a flawless display. "I started hitting some fades off the tee, which on this course you need to do, and I made a couple of putts.”
"I hit the smart shot, sometimes not even going at a couple of pins, which is hard for me to do. I got away with some poor swings because of some good lines. Hopefully I can do that again tomorrow."
Kim, whose most recent PGA Tour victory came at the 2010 Houston Open, made all of his birdies from inside 10 feet.
His 62 matched fellow American Jimmy Walker`s effort earlier in the day as the lowest score of the week.
"When I finished yesterday I didn`t know if I was going to make the cut," Walker said after surging up the leaderboard into a tie for fifth place at seven under with an eight-birdie display.
"(It was) kind of: `Hey, we`re here. I did it. Let`s go make the best of it.` You got nothing to lose when you`re at the back of the pack.”
"I told my wife last night that I was just going to go out and attack and see what happens. It worked."
Former Masters champion Trevor Immelman of South Africa, who began the third round one stroke off the lead, dropped six shots in his last six holes for a 73 to tumble back into a tie for 28th at three under.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla