Skater Pechstein blames testers, ISU for two-year ban
Berlin: Banned Olympic speed skating champion Claudia Pechstein blamed testing mistakes and sample mix-ups on Thursday for her abnormal blood values that could bar her from competing at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.
Flanked by her manager and her lawyer, the five-times Olympic gold medallist spoke only briefly during an elaborate press conference that included video projections of documents and minute details of test results and procedures.
The International Skating Union (ISU) last month said the German`s blood profile had included abnormal values in a series of tests, in particular during February`s world all-round championships and the sport`s governing body imposed a two-year ban, back-dated to Feb. 9 this year.
She has since appealed against it.
"I was only tested four times between then and now," said a stern-looking Pechstein, with her manager Ralf Grengel adding someone suspected of using banned substances should have been tested many more times.
Grengel said barcode numbers on samples were suspect, results in laboratories showed different measurements of the same sample and other testing procedures were not conducted correctly.
"It shows that the ISU has repeatedly been sloppy in this case," said Grengel after showing two different barcode numbers that allegedly belonged to the same sample. "How is this possible," he said, adding many of the barcode numbers of samples used by the ISU as evidence to hand down the ban did not match.
The 37-year-old Pechstein, a very popular athlete in Germany alongside fellow skater Anni Friesinger, is hoping next year to compete at her sixth successive Winter Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!