Skull of Mona Lisa model found?
Florence: Archaeologists in Italy`s Florence city have uncovered a skeleton they believe could be the 500 year-old remains of the noblewoman who is believed to have posed for Leonardo Da Vinci`s Mona Lisa masterpiece.
An excavation that started earlier this month of what was once the convent of Saint Orsola, where Lisa Gherardini - the wife of wealthy silk merchant Francesco del Giocondo - was buried following her death in July 1542 at 63 years.
A grave was unearthed that contained a skeleton of an adult woman with parts of the skull and pelvis, said Giorgio Gruppioni, an archaeology professor from the University of Bologna and coordinator of the excavation.
"The skull and pelvis have been crushed by the weight of the ground," he said. Other pieces of the skull and pelvis must first be recovered before the archaeologists can definitively determine the skeleton`s sex, he said.
Once they locate the skull, the team will attempt to recreate a likeness of what the woman might have looked like and compare her to the world-famous portrait.
This may help unlock the centuries-old mystery surrounding Mona Lisa`s identity.
Historians will compare the DNA with that of two of her children buried in Florence`s Santissima Annunziata church to prove her identity.
Most modern historians believe that the lady with the famous enigmatic smile depicted in the Mona Lisa was del Giocondo, who became a nun after her husband`s death.
Some experts, however, say Leonardo`s final portrait may be a composite of many faces.
Da Vinci`s masterpiece now hangs behind bulletproof glass at the Louvre museum in Paris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM