SL start CT campaign with a bang; thump SA
Centurion: Tillakeratne Dilshan and Ajantha Mendis led Sri Lanka to a 55-run win over hosts South Africa as the opening match of the Champions Trophy was decided by the Duckworth-Lewis scoring method on Tuesday.
Dilshan struck 106 off 92 balls as Sri Lanka amassed 319 for eight, their highest one-day score against South Africa. Spinner Mendis then claimed three for 30 as the hosts finished on 206 for seven from 37.4 overs after rain intervened.
The 24-year-old Mendis was playing against South Africa for the first time and frequently bamboozled the opposition batsmen in the Group B match.
"Dilshan has been in exceptional form from the end of last year. He has matured a lot and I think he now understands how good he really is," Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara told reporters.
"It is very hard to play Ajantha if you have not seen him before. He has gone a long way to making a statement that he can still win matches for us. And he will become more wily, more of a thinking bowler if we can give him the right environment."
South Africa captain Graeme Smith raced to 58 off 44 balls before being bowled by Mendis`s first delivery which zipped back into the left-hander and went through his `gate`.
Mendis also removed Jacques Kallis (41), who added 81 for the second wicket with Smith in 11 overs, when Angelo Mathews took a fine diving catch at mid-off.
JP Duminy was then bowled first ball by Mendis by the same delivery that accounted for Smith.
Earlier, Sri Lanka were sent in to bat and Dilshan powered to his third one-day international century in 87 balls, thumping 16 fours and a six.
Dilshan was ably supported by Sangakkara, who compiled 54 in a record Sri Lanka second-wicket stand against South Africa of 158.
Mahela Jayawardene (77) and Thilan Samaraweera (37) then added 116 for the fourth wicket.
South Africa next meet New Zealand at Centurion Thursday and Smith said his side needed to quickly improve.
"We were very tentative with the ball, especially in the first 20 overs when we didn`t execute our basics. We didn`t hit our channels," he said.
"We`re definitely capable of beating both New Zealand and England (on Sunday) if we play to our potential, but we need to get to that level very quickly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon