`Slumdog` star Rubina’s shack smashed
Mumbai: After walking the red carpet at the prestigious Oscars, ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ child star Rubina Ali now sits on the ruins of her home in Mumbai.
The 10-year-old Rubina has been rendered homeless as her slum shack was bulldozed to make way for a new railway track here. With no alternative accommodation for her, Rubina will now have to spend several nights in the open.
According to sources, Rubina was in tears as she pleaded the demolition authorities to stop as they brought down 50 shanty shacks with sledgehammers. Talking to a news daily, an eye witness said, "She was telling them. This is my house, I was born here. She will now have to sleep on roads until they can re-build it. She is worried for her baby sister but there is no other option for them".
Even though her co-star Azharuddin Ismail and his family moved from their neighbouring slum into a new apartment several months ago, Rubina’s family is yet to decide on accepting the offer made by Danny Boyle and Christian Colson.
However this isn’t the first time that the young star’s home has been bulldozed. Earlier this year too Rubina’s family had to rebuild their shack after it was brought down by the civil authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket