Smoking in public to invite fine in Howrah
Howrah: As part of the move to make
Howrah the first `no smoking district` in West Bengal from
next year, the administration will enforce ban on smoking in
public places from Friday.
District Magistrate Sanghamitra Ghose said today teams
of police and administration will fan out to different parts
from tomorrow and fine anybody caught to be smoking or chewing
tobacco products in public.
The DM said this was part of the objective to declare
Howrah as the `No Smoking district` by January 1, 2012.
The administration had been working with Cancer
Foundation of India NGO for past two years to carry on survey
and raise public awareness on the issue, Ghose said.
The administration also conducted a workshop with the
media fraternity of the district so that the press can help
public shun the vice and lead a `tobacco-free life.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- Must Read! Narayana Murthy's heartfelt letter to his daughter will make you miss your dad
- PM Modi meets Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS today
- AgustaWestland scam: Arvind Kejriwal asks Modi govt 'What are you waiting for?'
- Putin slams Russian space failures after delayed launch
- BJP wins mayoral polls in SDMC, EDMC