Smoking in public to invite fine in Howrah
Howrah: As part of the move to make
Howrah the first `no smoking district` in West Bengal from
next year, the administration will enforce ban on smoking in
public places from Friday.
District Magistrate Sanghamitra Ghose said today teams
of police and administration will fan out to different parts
from tomorrow and fine anybody caught to be smoking or chewing
tobacco products in public.
The DM said this was part of the objective to declare
Howrah as the `No Smoking district` by January 1, 2012.
The administration had been working with Cancer
Foundation of India NGO for past two years to carry on survey
and raise public awareness on the issue, Ghose said.
The administration also conducted a workshop with the
media fraternity of the district so that the press can help
public shun the vice and lead a `tobacco-free life.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly