Smoking in public to invite fine in Howrah
Howrah: As part of the move to make
Howrah the first `no smoking district` in West Bengal from
next year, the administration will enforce ban on smoking in
public places from Friday.
District Magistrate Sanghamitra Ghose said today teams
of police and administration will fan out to different parts
from tomorrow and fine anybody caught to be smoking or chewing
tobacco products in public.
The DM said this was part of the objective to declare
Howrah as the `No Smoking district` by January 1, 2012.
The administration had been working with Cancer
Foundation of India NGO for past two years to carry on survey
and raise public awareness on the issue, Ghose said.
The administration also conducted a workshop with the
media fraternity of the district so that the press can help
public shun the vice and lead a `tobacco-free life.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!