Smoking in public to invite fine in Howrah
Howrah: As part of the move to make
Howrah the first `no smoking district` in West Bengal from
next year, the administration will enforce ban on smoking in
public places from Friday.
District Magistrate Sanghamitra Ghose said today teams
of police and administration will fan out to different parts
from tomorrow and fine anybody caught to be smoking or chewing
tobacco products in public.
The DM said this was part of the objective to declare
Howrah as the `No Smoking district` by January 1, 2012.
The administration had been working with Cancer
Foundation of India NGO for past two years to carry on survey
and raise public awareness on the issue, Ghose said.
The administration also conducted a workshop with the
media fraternity of the district so that the press can help
public shun the vice and lead a `tobacco-free life.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them