Smriti Irani for Narendra Modi as PM
New Delhi: As Narendra Modi heads for victory for a third term in Gujarat, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Smriti Irani on Thursday said that the former was her choice for the prime ministerial candidate.
"If I were to vote, it will be for Modi as PM. Modi is one of the tallest leaders across party lines," she said.
Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi, however, said Modi`s victory in the Gujarat polls has nothing to do with his national acceptability.
"The victory in Gujarat polls makes Narendra Modi unstoppable in the BJP. He is very important Chief Minister for BJP, but that has nothing to do with his national acceptability," he said.
Modi, who is being seen by many as a potential Prime Ministerial candidate for the BJP in 2014, won in Ahmedabad`s Maninagar constituency.
Maninagar is a Modi stronghold and he has held this seat since 2002. Modi, who is looking at a third consecutive term at the helm in Gujarat, defeated Congress` Shweta Bhatt, the wife of suspended police officer Sanjeev Bhatt, by more than 70,000 votes.
There are 182 Assembly seats in Gujarat and a party needs at least 92 seats to get a sole majority and form the government.
The BJP has fielded its candidates for all the 95 seats in this phase. The Congress is contesting on 92 seats, while the Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) of Keshubhai Patel has fielded its candidates for 84 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’