SNC-Lavalin posts $80-million profit in Q2
Toronto: Canada`s SNC-Lavalin, which is at the centre of the alleged Rs 300-crore (USD 60 mn) bribery scandal in Kerala, has reported a higher profit of USD 80 million for the second quarter of 2009 - up from USD 75 million during the same period in 2008.
The Montreal-based company said the increase in its profit was "mainly due to higher contributions from the power and infrastructure and environment segments, partially offset by a loss in chemicals and petroleum.``
One of the leading engineering and construction companies in the world, SNC-Lavalin has operations in about 100 countries.
In a chargesheet filed June 11, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had named the Montreal-based company along with Kerala CPM secretary Pinarai Vijayan and others in the alleged bribery scandal. The chargesheet had alleged that the Canadian company was wrongfully given contracts for renovation of three power projects in 1997 when Vijayan was the electricity minister of Kerala.
But Gillian MacCormack, SNC-Lavalin vice-president for global public relations, had denied these charges, saying, "We have done nothing wrong since the beginning of the project.``
However, the company reported a fall in revenue during the six-month period, raking in USD 3.1 billion compared to USD 3.5 billion for the same six-month period last year.
"We achieved good results in the second quarter of 2009, despite a disappointing performance in the Chemicals & Petroleum segment; our backlog increased and our year-to-date results are in line with our expected net income growth for 2009,`` Pierre Duhaime, president and CEO, said in a statement at the weekend.
"We continue to expect a net income growth of 7 percent to 12 percent in 2009, in line with our long-term financial objective,`` he said.
Just last month, SNC-Lavalin had won one of the largest contracts of USD 508 million to build a brand-new city in the north African nation Algeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued