Soderling to test Nadal in final repeat
Paris: Defending champion Rafa Nadal faces the only man to have beaten him at the French Open on Wednesday when Robin Soderling will have his 2009 triumph but also last year`s final defeat rattling in his mind.
Spain`s five-times winner Nadal started this tournament very slowly indeed for his standards but is gradually finding his form while Swedish fifth seed Soderling has been solid if unspectacular so far.
Sparks could fly though in the last-eight match given the rivalry even if focus is already shifting towards a luscious semi-final between rampant Novak Djokovic and record 16-times grand slam champion Roger Federer later in the week.
Having shrugged off Viktor Troicki in five sets and an ankle tendon tear on Tuesday, Andy Murray is in action for a third straight day in his quarter-final against Juan Ignacio Chela.
The Argentine, 31, is the only unseeded player left in either singles draws but has never got past this stage at Roland Garros before just like the British fourth seed.
"I`ve done a lot of icing, been taking a lot pills. I had an MRI scan, had an ultrasound scan," Murray told reporters about his battle to get his ankle ready for Troicki and now ready for Chela and possibly ready for Nadal or Soderling in the semi.
Before the men take to the red clay, which was swirling into the players` eyes during high winds on Tuesday when Federer blew past Gael Monfils in his quarter-final, sixth seed Li Na battles Belarus` Victoria Azarenka in a women`s last-eight match.
Li is the first Chinese player to reach this point in Paris and will not give up without a fight judging by her determined displays in the previous rounds, even if fourth seed Azarenka has been in superb form for months.
The winner will play either seventh seed Maria Sharapova or German 15th seed Andrea Petkovic, who meet on Court Suzanne Lenglen in their last-eight clash with the Russian leading the head-to-head 2-1.
Home hope Marion Bartoli and holder Francesca Schiavone won through on Tuesday to set up a last-four meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal