Somdev, Bopanna qualify for ATP Masters tourney in USA
Indian Wells (USA): Carrying forward their good work at the Davis Cup, India`s Somdev Devvarman and Rohan Bopanna have qualified for the BNP Paribas Open, an ATP Masters Tournament.
Seeded second seed in the qualifying, Somdev outplayed American Greg Jones 6-2 6-4 while Bopanna, who is a doubles specialist, shocked top seed Daniel Brands of Germany 7-6 (5) 7-6 (4) in the final round.
Somdev has drawn French Adrian Mannarino in his first round in the main draw and if can manage to clear the first hurdle, he will be up against 19th seed Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus.
Bopanna will take on Australian teen sensation Bernard Tomic and upon clearing the first round; the tall Indian will be up against Serbia`s Viktor Troicki, whom he gave a good fight during the recent Davis Cup World Group tie.
"I am glad to have passed through the challenging qualifying stages and I am looking forward to the next match. Singles matches are a different ball game altogether and I am enjoying the competition," Bopanna said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader