Somdev, Bopanna qualify for ATP Masters tourney in USA
Indian Wells (USA): Carrying forward their good work at the Davis Cup, India`s Somdev Devvarman and Rohan Bopanna have qualified for the BNP Paribas Open, an ATP Masters Tournament.
Seeded second seed in the qualifying, Somdev outplayed American Greg Jones 6-2 6-4 while Bopanna, who is a doubles specialist, shocked top seed Daniel Brands of Germany 7-6 (5) 7-6 (4) in the final round.
Somdev has drawn French Adrian Mannarino in his first round in the main draw and if can manage to clear the first hurdle, he will be up against 19th seed Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus.
Bopanna will take on Australian teen sensation Bernard Tomic and upon clearing the first round; the tall Indian will be up against Serbia`s Viktor Troicki, whom he gave a good fight during the recent Davis Cup World Group tie.
"I am glad to have passed through the challenging qualifying stages and I am looking forward to the next match. Singles matches are a different ball game altogether and I am enjoying the competition," Bopanna said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test