Somdev crashes out fighting against Tipsarevic
Belgrade (Serbia): After pulling off one of the biggest wins of his career in the last match, Somdev Devvarman gave seventh seed Jano Tipsarevic a run for his money before losing out in a hard-fourth three setter in the quarter-finals of the Serbia Open on Friday.
Devvarman, who upstaged world number 26 Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the second round on Thursday, lost 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 to the 36-ranked Tipsarevic.
The 71st-ranked Indian made his fancied Serbian opponent toil hard for 2 hours, 38 minutes and 45 seconds to book his place in the semi-finals of the clay court event.
Tipsarevic will now face the winners of another quarter-final between top seed Novak Djokovic and Blaz Kavic.
Somdev, who broke into top-100 early this year, had scored a thrilling 7-6 (6), 2-6, 7-6 (8) win over Garcia-Lopez in the second round.
The win over the Spaniard was Somdev`s first win over a top-30 player this year and would further enhance his reputation as a new force on the ATP circuit.
Somdev had defeated Ivo Karlovic, then world number 25, in 2009 Chennai Open to record his best win.
Recently, Somdev had played his heart out against world number one Rafael Nadal and world number six David Ferrer before losing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'