Somdev crashes out fighting against Tipsarevic
Belgrade (Serbia): After pulling off one of the biggest wins of his career in the last match, Somdev Devvarman gave seventh seed Jano Tipsarevic a run for his money before losing out in a hard-fourth three setter in the quarter-finals of the Serbia Open on Friday.
Devvarman, who upstaged world number 26 Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the second round on Thursday, lost 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 to the 36-ranked Tipsarevic.
The 71st-ranked Indian made his fancied Serbian opponent toil hard for 2 hours, 38 minutes and 45 seconds to book his place in the semi-finals of the clay court event.
Tipsarevic will now face the winners of another quarter-final between top seed Novak Djokovic and Blaz Kavic.
Somdev, who broke into top-100 early this year, had scored a thrilling 7-6 (6), 2-6, 7-6 (8) win over Garcia-Lopez in the second round.
The win over the Spaniard was Somdev`s first win over a top-30 player this year and would further enhance his reputation as a new force on the ATP circuit.
Somdev had defeated Ivo Karlovic, then world number 25, in 2009 Chennai Open to record his best win.
Recently, Somdev had played his heart out against world number one Rafael Nadal and world number six David Ferrer before losing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof