Somdev goes down fighting against Baghdatis
Washington (USA): Indian tennis star Somdev Devvarman gave a scare to seventh seed Marcos Baghdatis before going down in a gruelling three-setter in the ATP Legg Mason Tennis Classic.
The unseeded Indian battled for two hours and two minutes but lost 2-6 6-0 5-7 against world number 26 from Cyprus in the second round of the USD 1,166,400 hard court tournament.
Somdev had beaten Baghdatis in March this year but after this win, the Cypriot leads the head-to-head record 2-1.
Somdev pocketed USD 7,585 as prize money and earned 20 ranking points for his effort.
The Indian challenge is still alive in the ATP 500 tournament with Rohan Bopanna featuring in the doubles event with Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-haq Qureshi.
They have been seeded fourth and will open their campaign against unseeded but experienced pair of Mark Knowles and Xavier Malisse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'