Somdev goes down fighting against Baghdatis
Washington (USA): Indian tennis star Somdev Devvarman gave a scare to seventh seed Marcos Baghdatis before going down in a gruelling three-setter in the ATP Legg Mason Tennis Classic.
The unseeded Indian battled for two hours and two minutes but lost 2-6 6-0 5-7 against world number 26 from Cyprus in the second round of the USD 1,166,400 hard court tournament.
Somdev had beaten Baghdatis in March this year but after this win, the Cypriot leads the head-to-head record 2-1.
Somdev pocketed USD 7,585 as prize money and earned 20 ranking points for his effort.
The Indian challenge is still alive in the ATP 500 tournament with Rohan Bopanna featuring in the doubles event with Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-haq Qureshi.
They have been seeded fourth and will open their campaign against unseeded but experienced pair of Mark Knowles and Xavier Malisse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof