Somdev-Huey in final of Farmer`s Classic
Los Angeles (US): Somdev Devvarman earned himself a good chance to win his first ever ATP title after reaching the doubles final of the Farmer`s Classic along with Treat Conrad Huey with a hard fought three-set win over Israeli pair of Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram here.
The unseeded Indo-Philippine pair, who had shocked the top seeds earlier, edged past the fourth seed Israeli duo 7-6 (6), 6-7 (8), 10-4 after a close to two-hour battle in the semi-finals of the USD 619,50 tournament.
They next face third seed Mark Knowles Bahamas and Xavier Malisse of Belarus.
It is for the first time that Somdev has reached the final of an ATP doubles event. He has made two singles final so far. He reached final of Chennai Open, his home event, in 2009 and in Johannesburg early this year.
Somdev and Huey nosed ahead after a stiff first set but could not stop their opponents from stretching the match to Super Tie break.
However they prevailed over the Israelis, scoring points when it mattered most.
Somdev`s singles campaign had earlier ended with a 4-6, 6-7 (7) first round defeat at the hands of Ryan Sweeting of the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened