Somdev-Huey in final of Farmer`s Classic
Los Angeles (US): Somdev Devvarman earned himself a good chance to win his first ever ATP title after reaching the doubles final of the Farmer`s Classic along with Treat Conrad Huey with a hard fought three-set win over Israeli pair of Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram here.
The unseeded Indo-Philippine pair, who had shocked the top seeds earlier, edged past the fourth seed Israeli duo 7-6 (6), 6-7 (8), 10-4 after a close to two-hour battle in the semi-finals of the USD 619,50 tournament.
They next face third seed Mark Knowles Bahamas and Xavier Malisse of Belarus.
It is for the first time that Somdev has reached the final of an ATP doubles event. He has made two singles final so far. He reached final of Chennai Open, his home event, in 2009 and in Johannesburg early this year.
Somdev and Huey nosed ahead after a stiff first set but could not stop their opponents from stretching the match to Super Tie break.
However they prevailed over the Israelis, scoring points when it mattered most.
Somdev`s singles campaign had earlier ended with a 4-6, 6-7 (7) first round defeat at the hands of Ryan Sweeting of the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional