Somdev ousted from ATP Nice Open
Nice (France): Somdev Devvarman suffered his second consecutive first round defeat by losing in straight sets to local player Adrian Mannarino in the euro 450,000 ATP Nice Open.
Ranked 66, the unseeded Indian lost 3-6 6-7(7) to the French opponent, placed 13 places above him in the ATP ranking chart.
Last week, Somdev had lost in the first round of Zagreb Open in Croatia.
Somdev did not get any break chance in the opening set although he saved four on his own serve. But Adrian rode on one break conversion to take lead.
Both the players broke each other twice in the secod set but Somdev squandered five other chances which cost him dearly as the match stretched to tie-breaker in which the local player prevailed.
Now Somdev would look to do well in doubles event, for which he has paired with American Ryan Sweetings.
They will open their campaign against third seeds Frantisek Cermak of Czech Republic and Filip Polasek of Slovakia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon