Somdev out of Miami event after losing to Ferrer
Miami: Somdev Devvarman yet again put up a good fight against a top-10 player before losing as he bowed out of the Sony Ericsson Open with a straight sets defeat against world number six Spaniard David Ferrer.
Playing his second consecutive ATP Masters tournament, Somdev lost 4-6 2-6 to sixth seed Ferrer in the third round. Somdev, who has been playing against the too players in the last few weeks, yet again gave a good account of himself as he was the first to get a break in the match.
He broke Ferrer in the fifth game of the opening set match but Ferrer broke back to draw level. Long rallies were on display in the first set as the Indian lad refused to go down easily. However, with crucial break of serve in the 10th game, Somdev had to concede lead and it was difficult to stage a comeback against a player of the caliber of Ferrer.
Somdev had become the first Indian to reach the fourth round of a singles event at the ATP Masters tournament at Indian Wells, where he lost to world number Rafael Nadal.
Before that Somdev had played against multiple Grand Slam winner Roger Federer in Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!