Somdev out of Miami event after losing to Ferrer
Miami: Somdev Devvarman yet again put up a good fight against a top-10 player before losing as he bowed out of the Sony Ericsson Open with a straight sets defeat against world number six Spaniard David Ferrer.
Playing his second consecutive ATP Masters tournament, Somdev lost 4-6 2-6 to sixth seed Ferrer in the third round. Somdev, who has been playing against the too players in the last few weeks, yet again gave a good account of himself as he was the first to get a break in the match.
He broke Ferrer in the fifth game of the opening set match but Ferrer broke back to draw level. Long rallies were on display in the first set as the Indian lad refused to go down easily. However, with crucial break of serve in the 10th game, Somdev had to concede lead and it was difficult to stage a comeback against a player of the caliber of Ferrer.
Somdev had become the first Indian to reach the fourth round of a singles event at the ATP Masters tournament at Indian Wells, where he lost to world number Rafael Nadal.
Before that Somdev had played against multiple Grand Slam winner Roger Federer in Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister