Somdev, Sania get easy draw in first round
London: Indian tennis stars Somdev Devvarman and Sania Mirza have been handed easy draws in their respective singles events at the Wimbledon, starting here on Monday.
Somdev, ranked 68th in the world, will face Germany`s Denis Gremelmayr (110th), while world number 60 Sania has been drawn against France`s Virginie Razzano, 38 places below her in WTA charts, in the prestigious grass court tournament.
In the men`s doubles, third seeded Indian duo of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi will take on unseeded Croatian pair of Ivan Dodig and Lovro Zovko in their opening round while fourth seeded Indo-Pak pair of Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi face Colombian duo of Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah in their first round match.
Somdev and his Japanese partner Kei Nishikori will face German duo of Rainer Schuettler and Alexander Waske in their men`s doubles opening round clash.
In the women`s doubles, fourth seeded Sania and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina, who finished runners-up in the French Open early this month, will lock horns against American-Russian duo of Melanie Oudin and Anna Chakvetadze in their first round meeting.
The mixed doubles draw will be announced on June 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning