Somdev, Sania make winning start at Miami
Miami: Somdev Devvarman and Sania Mirza scored identical and convincing straight sets victories over their respective higher-ranked opponents in the first round of the Sony Ericsson Open at Miami.
Ranked 73 in ATP charts, Somdev downed world number 47 Potito Starace of Italy 6-2 6-4 in his opening round of the ATP Masters event.
Qualifier Sania, ranked 99, defeated Spanish world number 62 Arantxa Parra Santonja 6-2 6-4 in WTA premier event.
Sania has a tough second round ahead as she is up against 24th seed Russian Maria Kirilenko.
Somdev will clash with Canadian world number 34 Milos Raonic, seeded 31, in his second round and if he manages to get past him, he could have a match against world number six David Ferrer in the third round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Shaktikanta Das attending Saarc FMs meet, instead of Jaitley: Official
- Teenagers who feel safe at school get higher grades
- Bodoland groups to relaunch statehood agitation next week
- Claudio Bravo joins Manchester City as Joe Hart`s replacement
- Flood situation remains grim in Bihar, eases in Madhya Pradesh