Somdev, Sania make winning start at Miami
Miami: Somdev Devvarman and Sania Mirza scored identical and convincing straight sets victories over their respective higher-ranked opponents in the first round of the Sony Ericsson Open at Miami.
Ranked 73 in ATP charts, Somdev downed world number 47 Potito Starace of Italy 6-2 6-4 in his opening round of the ATP Masters event.
Qualifier Sania, ranked 99, defeated Spanish world number 62 Arantxa Parra Santonja 6-2 6-4 in WTA premier event.
Sania has a tough second round ahead as she is up against 24th seed Russian Maria Kirilenko.
Somdev will clash with Canadian world number 34 Milos Raonic, seeded 31, in his second round and if he manages to get past him, he could have a match against world number six David Ferrer in the third round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka