Somdev to play Murray, Sania faces Peer in US Open
New York: India`s top singles player, Somdev Devvarman has drawn world No 4 Andy Murray, while Sania Mirza will face Israeli Sahar Peer in their first-round matches of the US Open beginning on Monday.
Ranked 64th in the world, 26-year-old Somdev will face an uphill task to advance beyond the first round against the in-form Murray.
The one at the Flushing Meadows will be the first meeting between the two.
The Indian`s record this year is solid, with a run through qualifying to the third round in Indian Wells in March the highlight, while last year he won the gold medal in the men`s singles tournament at the Commonwealth Games.
His fighting ability and a liking for hardcourts should pose a few problems for Murray, who has again been placed in Rafael Nadal`s half of the draw.
Mirza, who is coming to New York following a string of losses in first rounds and qualifiers since her comeback post Wimbledon, is also expected to find the going tough against Peer.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Nobody came to help while I screamed, says victim of Bengaluru kidnapping case
- Indian Premier League 2016: List of 11 injured players that have been ruled out of remaining tournament
- Kishore Biyani resigns as Managing Director of Future Retail
- I'm against honouring Malala Yousafzai with Nobel Peace Prize: Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- Sebi cancels registration of Deutsche Mutual Fund