Somnath may get RS berth: The Asian Age
New Delhi: Former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee, expelled by his party CPI(M), could well be in the Rajya Sabha. Sources disclosed a section in the Congress is keen to get Mr Chatterjee into the Upper House. And Mr Chatterjee, it is learnt, is not against the proposed move.
By the end of this month, seven presidential nominees are scheduled to retire. This include, yesteryears dream girl Hema Malini, actor and wrestler Dara Singh, economist Bimal Jalan, journalist Chandan Mitra, lawyer Ram Jethmalani, former Isro chief Dr Kasturirangan and Narayan Singh Parmar. Mr Chatterjee could be move into one of the berth falling vacant.
Sources disclosed that the earlier proposal of the Congress to offer him a governor’s berth was politely turned down by Mr Chatterjee. He had hinted that being a former Lok Sabha Speaker, it would not be possible for him to accept the post of a governor.
It can be mentioned that Mr Chatterjee was expelled after he refused to toe the party line and refused to step down from the Speaker’s post, after the CPI(M) withdrew support from the UPA on the issue of Indo-US nuclear deal.
Despite a major hue and cry from West Bengal, the CPI(M) general secretary, Mr Prakash Karat, refused to budge and went ahead with his decision to expel Mr Chatterjee. The impact of the decision had an adverse impact on the party in West Bengal during the general elections. However, unfazed by the electoral rout, Mr Karat went on justifying his decision and instead blamed it all on the "failures" of the CPI(M) led Left Front government in the state.
Some of the Bollywood names being considered for the posts include poet and lyricist Javed Akhtar, yesteryears superstar Rajesh Khanna, Sharmila Tagore and Raza Murad. However, a senior Congress leader indicated that "all names are being looked into and nothing has yet been finalised."
There are also a number of senior journalists from West Bengal and Delhi actively lobbying for Rajya Sabha berths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'